Victorian opposition unveils quarantine hospital plan, government labels it ‘not clinically safe’

0
0
Our target is to take our local communities to the worldwide audience. Submit your story and we will help you to build your audience. Thank you Roots News Team

Victoria’s ailing health system has been the focus of another day of pre-election announcements, with the government dismissing an opposition plan to move patients to Melbourne’s nearly-empty quarantine facility.

The state Liberal Party on Sunday said it would immediately investigate  repurposing 250 beds at the Centre for National Resilience for hospital patients.

But the government immediately poured cold water over the pledge, with the Premier saying he had already canvassed the idea and it was “not clinically safe to pretend it’s a hospital”.

The centre in Mickleham, in Melbourne’s outer north, opened in February this year — the day international border rules dramatically eased for unvaccinated travellers.

The centre has capacity to house 1,000 people, but the opposition said only 34 beds were occupied on Friday. It was housing 42 people on Sunday.

The interior of a cabin designed for quarantine
There are four ‘villages’ at the Mickleham quarantine facility.(ABC News: Nicole Asher)

Shadow Health Minister Georgie Crozier said the Coalition would aim to use the centre for non-acute patients who were well enough to leave hospital but still needed care.

“It’s sitting here idle. We’ve got 1,000 beds,” she said.



Source by [author_name]

Our target is to take our local communities to the worldwide audience. Submit your story and we will help you to build your audience. Thank you Roots News Team

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

18 + fourteen =