Major breakthrough as remains found, man arrested over reopened SA cold case


SA Police say they are very confident they have found the remains of a woman who went missing 23 years ago, and have arrested a man they intend to charge with her alleged murder.

Police suspected the 39-year-old was murdered but her remains had never been found.

Major crime detectives started to dig at the property in Port Lincoln at 9am today, after the backyard was scanned with a ground-penetrating radar yesterday.
Major crime detectives started to dig at the property in Port Lincoln at 9am today, after the backyard was scanned with a ground-penetrating radar yesterday. (9News)

SA Police Acting Detective Superintendent Andrew McRae has this evening announced human remains were found in the backyard and analysed.

“I’m very, very confident these remains are Susan’s,” he said.

Detectives then arrested a 64-year-old man from Port Lincoln, who is expected to appear in court tomorrow.

“He will be charged with murder,” McRae said.

“As of today, we’re not looking at anyone else.”

Susan Goodwin, who disappeared in 2002.
Susan Goodwin, who disappeared in 2002. (Nine)

He said both of Susan’s parents had passed away but police had spoken to her partner and sister this afternoon.

McRae said the discovery was a huge development in the case, which had been headed by one investigator for 13 years.

“There’s some excitement and relief.”

Detectives started to dig at the property in Port Lincoln at 9am, after the backyard was scanned with a ground-penetrating radar provided by the Australian Federal Police yesterday.

McRae said police had previously attended the property.

Police found bones an hour into the excavation and sent the item for forensic examination.

He said the breakthrough came after help from the public.

”We would not have discovered these remains without information from the public,” McRae said.

“I would implore anyone who has information about any homicide to put themselves in the position of a family or friend of the victim and come forward by either contacting police directly or by contacting Crime Stoppers.”

Susan Goodwin was last seen at her local Coles and Woolworths in July 2002.
Susan Goodwin was last seen at her local Coles and Woolworths in July 2002. (9News)

Earlier today, SA Police Commissioner Grant Stevens said police hoped for a resolution in the cold case.

“We will wait and see what comes out of that search,” Stevens said this morning.

“There is no such thing as a closed unsolved murder investigation, they remain open, are subject to regular review and we take opportunities to explore fresh information or evidence as it comes to light.”

Police have been offering a $200,000 reward for anyone who provides information that leads to a conviction or the discovery of Goodwin’s remains.

Susan was reported missing on Friday, July 18, 2002, from her home on Moonta Crescent at Port Lincoln.

She was last seen around lunchtime that day, after shopping at Coles and Woolworths in Port Lincoln.

Susan’s car was found in the driveway of her home address about 4.45pm.



Source link

spot_imgspot_img

Subscribe

Related articles

spot_imgspot_img

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

2 × three =