Alleged shooter mowed down moments after man killed near Murwillumbah, northern NSW


Police say an alleged gunman fired a single fatal shot to a man’s head before being run down by a ute as he tried to flee in northern NSW.

Emergency crews were called to a property on Tyalgum Rd at Eungella, just outside Murwillumbah, shortly before 1.30pm on Wednesday following reports of a shooting.

WATCH THE VIDEO ABOVE: Deadly shooting rocks northern NSW town.

Know the news with the 7NEWS app: Download today Arrow

Upon arrival, officers found a 41-year-old man dead from a single gunshot wound to the head.

His cousin, a 38-year-old man, had been shot in the back.

He presented himself to Murwillumbah Hospital before being transferred to Gold Coast University Hospital, where he remains in a stable condition.

The 41-year-old man died at the scene. The 41-year-old man died at the scene.
The 41-year-old man died at the scene. Credit: 7NEWS

Police allege the 45-year-old alleged shooter ran from the house after the attack.

About 200m away on the same road, he was struck by a ute, suffering fractures and chest injuries.

He was arrested at the scene and taken to Gold Coast University Hospital under police guard, where he remains stable.

Investigators are still determining whether he was driving the ute or another person was involved.

A second man, aged 36, who is believed to have been with him at the time of the shooting, allegedly fled into nearby bushland.

He was tracked down with the help of the dog squad and arrested on Tumbulgum Rd about 6.40pm — roughly 1km from the shooting scene.

The alleged shooter’s companion fled into nearby bushland before being arrested. The alleged shooter’s companion fled into nearby bushland before being arrested.
The alleged shooter’s companion fled into nearby bushland before being arrested. Credit: 7NEWS

He has since been charged with murder and was refused bail to appear before Bail Division Court 1 on Thursday.

Acting Superintendent Matthew Zimmer said detectives hope to interview the injured 45-year-old once he is medically able.

Police allege both men acted together as part of a joint criminal enterprise.

Zimmer said only one handgun is believed to have been used in the attack.

The weapon has not been located, and searches are focused on the area where the alleged gunman was hit by the ute.

Police believe it is close to where the 45-year-old was hit.

The 41-year-old man was found dead at the scene, from a single gunshot wound to the head.
The 41-year-old man was found dead at the scene, from a single gunshot wound to the head.
The 41-year-old man was found dead at the scene, from a single gunshot wound to the head.
Credit: 7NEWS

He confirmed all four men were known to each other, describing them as “associates”, though the exact nature of their relationship is still being established.

An ongoing property dispute — possibly linked to a caravan fire — is one line of inquiry.

Zimmer reassured the community there is no ongoing risk to the public.

“I want to reiterate to the community that this is an isolated incident. This is targeted. These four men were known to each other,” Zimmer said.

“We are confident that the two men allegedly involved in the shooting are both in police custody and as such there is no ongoing risk to public safety.”

Investigations are ongoing.



Source link

spot_imgspot_img

Subscribe

Related articles

spot_imgspot_img

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

seventeen + three =